Here is a summarized list of the Top 10 things learned in a decade of growing a local news business.
(With my interpretations in italics)
- Start small and grow as conditions warrant.
Lead with revenues and don’t bite off more than you can chew.
- Mail to every home in the neighborhood
Don’t assume some won’t give you business, be it stereotypes or first impressions.
- The monthly publication cycle is ideal
I translate this as consistency.
- Hire the best people you can find and treat them well.
- Keep news focused on the positive.
This might be viewed in other business situations in the way you motivate those around you OR in relation to your own attitude.
- Design is important
Your product needs to be both useful and beautiful.
- Have someone trustworthy manage the money.
This seems like a no-brainer, but I guess many don’t heed this advice?
- Don’t let the customer mistreat the staff
- Be open to ideas but follow your own instinct
Have a business plan and model!
- Be grateful to your customers and employees
You are never too big for britches. Usually there are many in your network that assisted you in success – Take of and reward those in this sphere.