It’s been a tradition on our street for at least the last 10 years to have a block party. Kids decorate their bikes, food is brought out and shared, adults have a pie eating contest (and one time played “chubby bunny”). There is always a great interaction with family, neighbors, and new friends. Come on by with something to share and you will be welcomed!
I heard a radio broadcast simply reminding people how to stay safe with firework:
- Eye injuries are taken for granted, but most common – wear glasses and/or protective eye gear
- Wear long sleeves and glove to prevent burns (shoes and pants may be a good idea too)
- Have a hose or bucket of water nearby
- Keep an eye out for kids running around, especially with the fireworks going off (maybe even have some ear plugs, as I know one neighbor’s kids is super sensitive to load noises)
- Keep an eye on pets too – some going nuts (in a bad way) once the fireworks start going off
Also, if you live on a street nearby me that also hosts a block party, this is your warning. There may be a plan to have out bike parade go down your street, and some adults have talked about water balloons… that’s all I’m going to say.
Stay safe and sane 🙂
Keith Klassen – Real Estate Broker