Summarized article Real Estate Journal, How a Home Stager Preps Her Home Before Selling.
- Upgrade light fixtures:
– Use higher wattage bulb to make rooms brighter, creating an inviting mood and make s the rooms appear larger
– Install dimmers to create mood lighting
- Reconfigure rooms – for instance if a small second bedroom feels cramped, turn it into a den or craft room.
- Repaint walls according to buyer that you are trying to attract.
– Bold colors for artsy feel
– Neutral colors for a more conservative buyer
- Repaint laminate cabinets in the kitchen and bathrooms
– Use Melamine, a plastic-based paint
– Change out the hardware
- Remove extra furniture and clutter from the house
– This may seem obvious, but specifically store it off-site as home buyers usually look at the basement and garage
- Create curb appeal by putting planters out front – draw people into the house